About me

Hi! I am Asta! I am a philologist and a philocalist to the heart's core. Here I share things that I consider being aesthetic and fantastic!

9 Nov 2016

Autumn in Vilnius: How to Embrace it

I don't know how about you, but autumn to me looks like kind of tricky season. Here in Lithuania, or in Vilnius (to be more precise) autumn can start... bothering you. Not because of those highly praised colorful and picturesque views or the fact that it's sooo romantic to walk through the old town, sip hot coffee from your cup and see all those colorful leaves under your feet. It's the lack of Sun that upsets me the most. Somehow during this season we get only few sunny days and when the grey sky is hanging over your head for continuous weeks, you start thinking that the seasonal depression is not a myth. So this is what I do to keep my spirits up!



First of all, I try to engage in all sorts of physical activities. Be it just a half an hour walk with my dog around a block or walking on foot more (because you have to beat that score on your Google Fit app!). From time to time I like to go and practice my archery skills. Since this sport can be played indoors as well as outside, it's a good idea when the lack of light starts suffocating you. 


Another activity that I recently rediscovered is drawing. Although I just recently finished illustrating a book of my friend's, I hadn't properly practiced drawing since my undergraduate studies. It really helps me to concentrate and clean my head. If you don't like to draw yourself, choose coloring books - this is also very fun! My favorite is Animorphia by Kerby Rosanes!


Autumn evenings after work is the perfect time to experiment with new apple pie recipes! Home, smelling of cinnamon and freshly baked pies, is the best!


Buy flowers to decorate your living room or the place that you spend your time the most in. It really brightens up the room and your moods together!


Autumn is the best time to explore the new arrivals in your local tea of coffee shop! I just discovered strawberry tea that reminds me of my summer days at my parents house! You can pair this tea drinking ritual together with a good book and have a nice, cozy afternoon!



How do you cope with these murky autumn days?


Comments