About me

Hi! I am Asta! I am a philologist and a philocalist to the heart's core. Here I share things that I consider being aesthetic and fantastic!

26 Nov 2016

One More Time: Rīga

I don't know how it happens, but every year I come to the capital of Latvia - Riga. Each time the purpose is different, each time this city shows me something different. This year I'm staying in Riga  because of my PhD studies and for a longer time than usual, so I've got some time to explore the city before the biggest holydays of the year.



For the first time ever in Riga I'm using the tramway, which gives me a great pleasure everyday (I do love tramway as public transport - somehow it gives this "vintage" touch to the city). Since I do my research at the National Library (which itself is a building worth attention!) I usually go there on foot, but at the evening there's nothing better than a short ride in a tram!

National Library



Everyday I have a chance to go through the old town, where are all sorts of eye candies!

Melngalvju Nams



My usual path back to my appartement leads through Galerija Centrs shopping mall (because one has to stop to buy a dinner) and has a short stop in "Laima" sweets shop, where you can gaze upon all kinds of confectionery that are both tasty and not that expensive.


My latest discovery (recommended by a friend) is "Nice Place" bookstore. I just fell in love with their postcards that are printed on recycled paper! They also make coffee, so you can easily grab a cup and dive into the book!


Tomorrow there's going to be the Lighting of the Christmas tree and opening of the Christmas Market, so I'm definitely going, just to start feeling Christmas moods! 


Comments