About me

Hi! I am Asta! I am a philologist and a philocalist to the heart's core. Here I share things that I consider being aesthetic and fantastic!

23 Jan 2018

Rome Summed Up

Visiting Italy (or Rome, to be more precise) was an old dream of mine. One morning, when Vilnius was covered in snow and preparing for a week of low temperatures, me and my husband stepped off the plane in Fiumicino Airport, prepared to enjoy our stay in Italy as much as possible. 


When we arrived in Rome, there was still some time till check in at our AirBnB, so we decided to wander around a bit. Since the apartment was just one minute away from Colosseum, we went to the area known as Trajan's Market and Forum, where the famous column stands. I wouldn't get into the historical details of this particular area, so here's a Wikipedia article on that.




In Rome I was overwhelmed by the density of ruins, of various archaeological sites that were crammed into this patch of land! There were so many things that I have read about in historical books, it was hard to believe that I got see them with my own eyes! I was walking around trying to imagine how the city might have looked like during the time of Roman Empire with majestic Colloseum looming in the background. 







I was so glad that we decided to come during one of the least touristy months in Rome, because we not only got to move around freely, but also see many things without standing in a queue.  








During our stay we have also visited Vatican and feasted our eyes on endless marble, gold, and frescoes, while walking around in St. Peter's Basilica and museum. 






I left Italy with a pretty clear feeling that I'm coming back soon. If not this, then next year. I don't know if it's going to be Rome again or totally different city, but I'd like to experience this dolce vita once again! 








Photos (c) Things I Like Blog

Comments